Friday, March 26, 2010

Expanding The Bar

I have been searching high and low for new additions to my bar to make it more diverse and I have finally found something worth noting. Monin is a company that sells flavorings for bars and coffee houses. They have every kind of flavor imaginable, from simple fruit flavorings like Banana and Strawberry to exotic flavors like Caribbean Rum and Chipotle Pineapple. This is one of the best discoveries I have made for the bar for a long time. I recently purchased some different flavors to try out and they should be arriving shortly. I then want to have a mocktail party to test out the different recipes. These flavors have already sparked a lot of creativity for making drinks. The drink I really want to perfect is Bananas Foster. Bananas Foster is a dessert that was created in New Orleans by frying bananas in a caramel sauce and then adding Rum to the pan and lighting it on fire. Once the flame dies out (when the alcohol has been burned off) you serve it over vanilla ice cream. Whitney and I had this dessert for Valentine's Day and loved it. The ingredients I want to bring together for the drink version would be banana, rum, caramel, and vanilla. The base might be best as a milky base. Either half and half for an actual cocktail or vanilla ice cream for a frozen drink. Whitney and I will have to experiment and find out which one works best. I also picked up some Ginger Beer, Sugar Cane Syrup, and Hibiscus flowers which will also bring more diverse drinks to our repertoire.

No comments: